Saturday, October 20, 2012

Being a Teacher and A Mom

Friday ended on a not so good note.  My three youngest boys come into my classroom after school each day while I finish up last minute odds and ends.  I am feeling completely swamped, and had planned on staying a little late on Friday.  My class had earned a root beer float party as a reward for Star homework, so my boys were excited to see if their were leftovers.  There were - and they made a few for themselves as I briefly spoke with a parent - I turned around to see a disaster.  While I was cleaning that up, I noticed them dragging chairs into the hallway.  They had gotten their football stuck in a tree outside, and then proceeded to get their shoes stuck up there trying to get the football down. The shoes are still in the tree as I type this!

Admist the chaos, I noticed this note on one of my desks written (thank God in dry erase marker) by my 6 year old.

It almost (*almost*) made up for the chaos!

How do you balance being a teacher and a mom?

4 comments:

  1. My son would come and visit me from his high school on days that he hoped that there would be treats left overs. I miss his visits - he's 4000 miles away at university now.
    After school care for my kids saved my sanity.

    http://rubberbootsandelfshoes.blogspot.ca/2012/10/halloween-rocks.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the reminder of how fast it goes by! My oldest is 19 and my second oldest turns 18 on Monday so I know this period goes by so quickly! We are definitely thinking of the Boys and Girls Club at least a few days a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute note, it is tricky to balance it. My kids used to come to school with me and it was quite stressful to try to get to meetings, finish off work etc especially with my son (ADHD) always needing to be busy. They go to a separate school to me now and most days I do miss them, it is less stressful but now costs more for after school care. The balance is always precarious.
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww that is beautiful! Bless him! Growing up I always had to catch the bus to the High School to be with my parents after school - I don't know how they ever got any work done! Mum tended to take care of us before school so Dad could go early and then Dad would look after us after school so Mum could get work done. I am sure it is a very hard balance! I don't know how full time teachers who are parents do it!

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...