Monday, October 8, 2012

Fresh Fruits and Vegetables - Expanding Our Horizons

Our school has been blessed with a grant from the USDA that provides our students fresh fruits and vegetables two days a week.  This week we were given the opportunity to sample starfruit and grapes on Tuesday and Jicama on Thursday.  It has been really fun tasting fruits and vegetables that are unfamiliar to the students (and often the teacher!). We research items that we have never heard of.  It is funny to hear some of the comments that the students make about the various food items and what they taste like!  I am thinking that it could make a great writing assignment!

My son's first grade class uses the snacks as a graphing lesson.  They vote on the fruits and veggies they like the best! 

Here are a few lesson plan ideas for learning about various fruits and vegetables.

How do you incorporate nutrition into your weekly lessons?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly,
    I BOO'd you! Info on this linky is on my blog.
    Contact me at poultneytania@gmail.com for the item you would like
    Have a great week!
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops Kelly
    I boo'ed you again! I truly had forgotten I Boo'd you last time lol. Does this make it an invalid BOO??!! I am so sorry but if you would like to link up feel free. Just go to my blog for instructions. (Too many Boo linkies going around to keep them straight!)
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...