Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Problem of The Day


Every day I put a problem of the day on the board for my kiddos to solve.  I usually use real world problems and examples using either the students or my family.  My fifth grader noticed that I did this the other day, and asked why?  I told him that my students are always curious about my family, so they enjoy these little problems. 

Today I had collaboration in the morning and my kids usually hang out in my classroom before school.  When I came back in, I noticed this on the board.  My fifth grader had written a problem of the day for the students!  While it was a little too challenging for my third graders - I thought it was a great way to stretch my 5th grader.  I think I might have him come up with problems more often!

It also made me think that it might be fun to ask some of my students to come up with problems as well.

Do you incorporate problem solving into your daily lesson? What things do you do?

2 comments:

  1. I love that they used your family still for the problem. I put up a problem in our "Think Tank" and students have an opportunity throughout the week to solve the problem and put their answer in a box. At the end of the week, we solve the problem together and the students with the right answer go into a raffle to win a prize. It is always exciting when they realise they solved the problem and may be in the draw :)
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of a raffle - my kiddos would eat that up! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...