Thursday, July 25, 2013

Failing to Plan is Planning To Fail - Creating Your Long Term Plans for the School Year

failing to plan is planning to fail
 
 
You have probably heard this adage a time or two, but have you ever followed it?  This will be the second year in a row that I am switching grades (last year I switched from 7th grade math to 3rd grade and this year I am moving up to 4th), and I don't want to feel like I don't know where I'm going.  So, I used the curriculum map we have from our school district, and added the things that aren't there (science, social studies, grammar, and writing) to create a set of Long-Term plans for the year.  Even if I don't stick to it 100%, I feel better having a plan to cover everything I need to during the year.
 
 
It didn't print out 100% perfectly, but since I' m the one who is using it, I'm ok with that.  If any of you know how to fix it, I'm all ears :)
 
I have put the plans in the back of my lesson planning notebook for future reference as I start working on individual units.  The front of my lesson plan book is for my weekly plans and monthly calendars where I will list out everything including special events, assemblies, etc.
 
I will be sharing my complete book in a little bit - I bought the Staples Circa I had my eye on and am working on customizing it to fit for me. 
 
I have uploaded the Excel version of this document so that you can edit it and use it if you would like - setting it up took forever, so I thought I would save you some time. It is a freebie, and all you have to do to get it is to like my Facebook page here.  It is in the Facebook Fan Freebie tab.
 
Do you make long term plans?


3 comments:

  1. I do! I actually have a Long Range Plans post drafted. Just waiting for the right time to post...I suppose now is as good a time as any ;o)

    Jessica
    Teach on a Limb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do...actually wrote a post about it last week. I tend to not print mine but keep them on my computer since they ALWAYS change.

    I hear you on moving around....this will be my 8th year of teaching and I've only taught the same thing in a row once. (For the record, I've had, in order: 4/5 split, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 2nd, 4/5 split and this year 3rd lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did this for the first time this summer in preparation for a new grade, new school, with all new curriculum. I feel much more prepared, so I know I'm going to love having it done. :-)

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...