Monday, April 20, 2015

Using Subitizing Cards to Foster Multiplicative Thinking

Subitizing is an instant way of counting.  I had heard of several first grade teachers using it with ten frames to teach the concept of ways to make ten.





 I had never thought of using it to teach multiplication until I found these multiplication subitizing cards.



I have been using these cards as warm ups for small group and whole group lessons as well as for time fillers when we have a few extra minutes.  The kids love them and it has also helped with learning their math facts!  

Watch the video below to see them in action!







Have you used subitizing cards in your classroom? If you decide to use them, I would love to see pictures!  Please email me at kellys3ps@sbcglobal.net or tag me on InstagramFacebook, or Twitter!

And... before you go, make sure to visit my Giveaways page to enter our weekly giveaway to win a $25 Teachers pay Teachers gift card!



2 comments:

  1. How cool! Where did you find them? My kids love the subitizing app from The Teacher Tipster...it subitizes with dice, fingers, ten frames, dominoes, and I can't remember what else!
    Thanks,
    Nancy
    The Apple Basket Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember how I found them, but the link to find them is in the post (the red font). Hope that helps! I need to try out that app! We are supposed to get ipads next year (fingers crossed!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...